About the Award
Schools Taking Part
- City of London Academy, Alma, Southwark Park, Eveline Lowe
- Bacons CTC, Alfred Salter, Albion, Redriff, St John's RC
- Peckham Academy, Oliver Goldsmith
- Harris Academy, Bermondsey, Grange, Tower Bridge
- St Thomas the Apostle RC, St Mary Magdalene
- St Michael’s RC, St Joseph’s George Row
- The aims of the award are: to link secondary schools and feeder primaries; to promote enjoyment in reading; to extend reading choices; to assist in transition.
- Copies of books are available in every participating school for nominated groups to borrow, read, discuss and review
- Pupils post reviews, comments and votes on website by 4th July 2008.
- All pupils and teachers meet in week beginning 7th July 2008 to celebrate the winning book
Last Year's Award
- 2007 was the first year of the award
- Comments by teachers included:
- "Good range of books, especially for the boys"
- "Pupils' reading speed increased with children outdoing each other"
- "I thought it was perfect!"
- "Thank you for organising such a wonderful final event. The kids loved it and are so pleased with their prizes - a signed book is such a great prize and something they can keep forever. You've truly outdone yourself with the organisation of the event and the ongoing support you've given to myself and other teachers to make it a success. I'm definitely looking forward to taking part in the project next year"
- "Thank you, thank you, thank you for organising such a great project and final celebration - the children really enjoyed it"
- Taking part in the award changed 86 pupils' attitudes (for the better!)
- 145 thought the blog was a good idea
- 188 plus pupils took part
- 614 books were read (an average of 3 per pupil)